Saturday, August 2, 2014

To my future partner, husband.

Photo provided.

You may never read this and that is fine. I'll write it down in a letter and give it to you the night before we say our vows. That's if I am to ever get married.

But anyways..

I am going to change. I am not going to be the same person as I am writing this. On the day we get married I am not going to be the same person I was when we first met. I say this with the most positive intentions. I hope all these changes are due to you entering my life.

Let me explain. During my high school years, after my parents split, my dad and I were driving back to me mom's place. We came across the uncomfortable topic of if they were ever going to get back together. It was clear to me that they weren't and it broke my heart. But during that car ride he told me something I will always carry with me. He said to me "When you meet/marry a guy, make sure he can better your life."

Now, I don't agree with a lot of what my dad says but I do agree with what he said during that ride.

Expanding upon this, I need for you to change me. I need you to better my life. To help me grow and mature.

Take me on adventures to lands that I have never been to. Force me to eat an exotic dish. Let me squeeze your hand while I get a tattoo or piercing. Read to me out loud from your favorite book. Show me how to change my oil. Teach me proper money management skills. Get me to run a 10k with you. Swim with sharks. Throw out my makeup and force me to appreciate my natural beauty. Let's build a dining room table and chairs. Open our own business. Push my buttons and get me to really live.

By the time we accomplish all these things, or things of the sort, I will have surely changed. Changed for the better.

Here's the thing, while you are changing and bettering my life I hope to do the same for you.

I will teach you how to do a cartwheel. A proper forearm pass in volleyball. I will show you how to back for a weekend trip to New York City in one backpack. I will tell you the corniest jokes, and you will probably laugh just to please me. I will expose you to music artist you probably wouldn't listen to on your own. Go to Iceland and attempt to tame a wild Icelandic pony. I will hold your hand when someone you love passes away and show you time will still go on and you will become stronger. I will do everything in my power to make sure you get the most out of life.

I hope I can change and help morph you into a better person. I will try to better your life just as much as you better mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment